2K views
Featured

i paid $3500 for a teacup maltese puppy. unfortunately the pictures provided were when she was 1/2 her age, even the supposed "recent" pics were not recent.

i was shocked to see her when i got her as i was not even sure she was the same dog. also she clearly spent her early life caged which was not disclosed. she was advertised as weepad trained but does not have a clue, to the point of a behavioral problem. she even goes to the weepads to sleep on.

i asked seller 7 days after purchase for even exchange and i would incur any extra charges. she would have nothing to do with it.

shame on her. the 1st picture is what what advertised, the second is her.

Comments

Addison, Texas, United States #1309934

I saw the same pic. I always check and double check on eveything that sounds to good to be true.

Expecially on maltesekingdom.com has 70% off on all micro maltese this month only...lol... now they want only $650. Sorry that what you got was not what you were promised. My maltese passed away from cancer two years ago.

The maltese you got you can tell he was NOT taken care of at all. His hair is all tangled and his eyes have not been cleared . His coat should be white he's already tan. Poor baby.

They are super sweet dogs. He will be with every $3600 you spent. Love him because I'm sure he's been neglected and mistreated .

I hope they catch these people FAST. good luck with the little guy .....

Chula Vista, California, United States #1297652

I found the same photo at http://maltesekingdom.com/available-puppies.html while looking to buy one of their micro teacup maltese puppies. Since they are presumably located in Norfolk Virginia and I have to pay for the puppy by money gram I got suspicious and decided to look for other listings of maltese puppies. The first photo of your puppy is advertised at Maltese Kingdom as a male puppy available for sale.

to Anonymous #1303288

i was researching maltese kingdom as i was considering purchasing from them.

spoke on the phone and i believe it was an internet phone. the guy had a heavy foreign accent so i got suspicious.

google searched the site and didnt come up with much.

he sent me the pay information, via moneygram or westernunion.

i searched the address 7566 buttercup court, norfolk va 23508.

i searched google and google maps for the address and came up with NOTHING of that address in the zip area. Not sure what to think.....

to louisiana #1311291

It's a scam! My brother got screwed

to Anonymous #1376294

you know I WAS LOOKING at there sight and I came to discover 2014 was there last comment but on all the photos they say SOLD from then to the current year no one has placed any comments so that drew a red flag for me and then I looked this sight up no wonder

Atoka, Tennessee, United States #1260641

If you're *** enough to pay 3500 bucks for a dog, you deserve to be ripped off when there are thousands that die in shelters every day.

to Anonymous Round Lake, Illinois, United States #1306542

I've been trying to "rescue" for over a month with nothing but empty promisses and two dogs have gone to other families with no reason why.... it's gets frustrating to try and do the right thing, when I can simply buy one from a breeder.

Anonymous: I purchased a puppy from Itsy a few years ago the dog is almost 7 pounds. Certainly NOT the micro teacup I was promised.

She is a regular sized dog. We love her dearly but Itsy puppy lied about her age and she clearly had never been out of a cage. Ever. They are not honest and are over priced and I belive they get family members to write good reviews.

Run away they won't even let you pick the dog up on the premises or let you see the parents. Run far and fast.

You put a *** crown on your dog.

GOD, that tells the world everything they need to know about you.

Imbecile.

Dogs are NOT status symbols, you *** ***.

Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico #993372

People who sell micro puppies are soulless swindlers

I don't understand why people buying a dog don't do research

Rule number one

Never buy from a breeder breeding more than two breeds

Even two is pushing it but maybe they do mix like goldendoodle or the breeder is married and the spouse likes another breed

Rule number two Micro pups are low quality runts. They are not recognized by any reputable institution.

Breeding so small is unethical, because of their size their eye can pop out their joint come out. Do you know how you get really small dogs a lot of inbreeding so enjoy the health problems. Rule number three Where are the parents or at least the breeding ***? Where were they raised?

Rule number four Breeders breed because they love their dog breed and want to improve it, not for financial gain. Which means they compete their dogs. If you don't want to do your homework go to a shelter. You can find purebreeds it's just takes some time looking or give local shelters a request saying what breed you want.

Even on Craigslist you find pure Breds from people who got old or whatever reason need to re home their dog. Never never buy micro pups they are overpriced runts!

I'm very sorry that you had such a bad experience with this "breeder." That having been said, I do feel that you should have done a lot more research on the breed and breeders before making such a purchase.

You would have learned that there is no such thing as a teacup Maltese, and no breeder worth his/her salt would be selling them.

They are just taking the smallest puppies from their litters and breeding them, which usually gives them smaller puppies. Sadly, these puppies also commonly have a LOT of health problems, like heart and eye issues, structural and temperament problems, and short, expensive lives. When dogs are bred for size alone, these genetic problems are ignored, and almost always come back to haunt the new owner.

There are several breeds and mixes that are sold as "teacups," "tinies," "baby dolls," etc.

If you read the AKC Standard for the breed you're interested in, they will tell you what the approximate size and weight of the adult dog should be. NO REPUTABLE BREEDER will try to breed for one or two characteristics of a breed, (size, eye color, coat color, etc) then charge an outrageous price for these inferior puppies. I'm always amazed that someone will spend so much money on a puppy without finding out everything they can about the breed. A good breeder would have wasted no time telling you that there is no such thing as a teacup Maltese, Chihuahua, Pomeranian, Malti-Poo, ChiWeenie, etc, and would probably have been happy to either tell you where to learn more about the breed you're interested in or pointed you to someone who had some nice pet puppies.

I understand that you feel that you did not get what you paid for. But you're looking for something that does not (or should not) exist. Had you done your homework before making such a large purchase, you'd have known that. Now you're complaining because you got cheated by these people.

That's like buying a unicorn ONLINE, and being upset when you get a goat with one horn sawn off.

Research your breed. REALLY research your prospective breeder. You'll be a lot happier with both when you know what you're looking for.

And you won't be helping keep these puppy mills in business by purchasing one of their puppies.

Part of the responsibility here rests on your shoulders; these people would not be able to stay in business without customers looking for a dog that will fit in their pocket or purse, and healthy, sound puppies of that size are very rare. Smaller is rarely better.

to Karen Cleveland, Ohio, United States #1105855

bahahah yesss, karen for the win! you said it all perfectly!

just been sitting here laughing/being disappointed in humanity reading all these reviews -_- amazing people actually fall for this stuff. i laugh, then get angry, then cry, because all this *** causes alllll the other problems in the animal industry -_- get it together guys.

Manistee, Michigan, United States #907039

Excuse me, the post I was initially referring to was not Angie, but Rdog, although I find Angie's response to be a little over the top as well. You who bought this puppy, you could do the right thing by the poor dogs and cats who do end up on death row, or in puppy mills, or starving to death or being abused, by shelling out to help them, even if you DON'T adopt.

Me, I completely share the opinion of "Duh!" in that it IS, sorry, crazy *** to spend that much on a dog being sold online. You must have money to burn, so help a shelter. If you don't, or won't, then I guess in my book you'd be pretty selfish and self-centered. All of this is over now, but I really hope you didn't dispense with this poor puppy just because she wasn't house trained and didn't look like the picture.

She looks pretty acceptable to me - and if you are truly looking for a push-n-play animal, the at the very least have the sense to stay away from an ONLINE PURCHASE of a living thing. And if you really can't handle any retraining, get a stuffed animal, as they'll never wee on the rug. As it is, you do sort of continue that idea that the rich are ***, venal, and self-centered.

Try making the shoe NOT fit. Help a shelter,even if it ain't about you.

Hampshire, Illinois, United States #845043

Sadly sounds like these puppies are not socialized. Small dogs need attention 24/7.

Breeders need to dedicate their lives to the lives of the puppies. I had a teacup Pomeranian and she died at age 6. The most heartbreaking 6 years of my life watching her suffer continuely.

Till she bled to death due to liver failure. The vet bills and medication was astronomically high.

I purchased two maltese micro pups and I'm so amazed at how perfect they are. I couldn't deal with anyone better as a breeder.

No one else will try to keep in touch with you even AFTER you get your puppies..NO ONE!! I am so happy that they will talk to me about any sporadic weird frantic question I have.

Thank you so much! I am referring you!

ANGIE20132013
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States #675951

I purchased a puppy and received her June 28th. She was everything Itsy Puppy said she would be...adorable.

Our Maltese had passed away on June 4th and my daughter felt like we should contact Itsy Puppy....our new puppy has already brought us so much happiness. She is absolutely adorable and all the pictures and videos were up to date and truthful.

We do also have a rescue dog and find homes for dogs that are abandoned on our 30 acres, but our little puppy is a perfect fit for our family. Thanks Rachel.

North Highlands, California, United States #672984

Your $3500 could have gone to help save a multitude of animals from being euthanized at shelters. Your greed, pompous attitude and craving for false recognition is inexcusable. Save a life - adopt a shelter pet.

ANGIE20132013
to Rdog Raleigh, North Carolina, United States #676139

You have major issues!!! I hope you have a job worthy of saving shelter pets...since you condemn a person who may have spent thousands of dollars on shelter pets.

Good luck with your approach to life and making people see your point of view: POMPOUS ATTITUDE AND CRAVING FOR FALSE RECOGNITION IS INEXCUSABLE. Your words ...maybe you should self reflect.

to Rdog Manistee, Michigan, United States #907016

While I find Angie's comment pretty harsh, because I know there's a HUGE amount of propaganda placed out there by the AKC and good and bad breeders regarding reasons for getting a bred pup. There are reputable breeders - they should, for example, either work with or run a breed rescue program for returned animals, so if you are insistent on a specific breed, you can still adopt an existing animal that needs a home.

Good breeders will be honest about why the animal was returned. Often it's just some appearance flaw.

Before I go any further (and it may be too late, but I have to say this), under all this discussion there's still a puppy who may not be perfect by your standards, but who is entirely blameless in all of this. I do hope that you ensure the puppy's safe return or, preferably, that you keep her.

It's easy to potty train - it just takes about two days of taking the pup to the appropriate spot every hour or so, or any time they seem restive, and praising the *** out of them when they produce. Treats are good too. Punishment does NOT work, they just get more frightened and confused - all you can do when mistakes happen is pick them up, take them to the right spot and see if they can squeeze out a bit more, and praising, praising. It helps, in my opinion, if you have a word or a phrase (or a clicker.

Clicker training is amazing, fun to teach because you learn to think like your dog, really fast, and your dog enjoys the learning process. You can clicker train anything, including cats and your pre-verbal toddler. How tos are all over the Web. Karen Pryor created it working with dolphins, so check her site first.) that the pup associates with peeing or pooping.

Later, it will help you to speed the process up if you're in a hurry for some reason (like, it's raining and you'd rather be inside, it'll remind your pup why they're there.) In training, you use it whenever you take the puppy to the pad, whether they produce or not. Then they get the idea that word=pad=pee, and eventually, word=pee. (Or ***.)

You say she's sleeping on her peepad. That's undoubtedly because she's feeling very insecure and frightened.

Dogs and cats are both extremely perceptive. Because dogs are pack animals they are deeply aware of and influenced by the mood of the alpha, which should be you. The peepad is the only familiar thing. She knows perfectly well that there's something wrong about her - your anger and frustration will be completely clear to her - and because she doesn't know what she's done, she's even more frightened.

Think how traumatic it would be to be taken from your mother at 2 or 3 years (the comparable age for a human) put in a box and placed in something loud and scary, jiggly, possibly cold, and dumped out at the other end in an utterly unfamiliar place among people who clearly don't like you or want you. I'd have behavior problems too! And so what if she's older? She was gonna get that way anyway, and I assume you weren't planning to pitch her in a river when it happened.

Give her a chance, poor thing, and have some empathy. She's not a piece of furniture you can just ship around the country without any impact, she's a frightened baby.

Also, I've had or lived with six dogs so far. The first was a wolfhound/mastiff cross adopted from a family whose dogs had bred. He was, I think, the smartest dog I've ever known, and though he was certainly a giant breed mix, he lived to be 13 because of cross-breed hardiness.

My second dog was a Great Dane that I adopted for free at 2.5 years old. She was sweet, well-mannered, and a wonderful dog, and she lived to be 11. (Most giant breeds die at 6 - 8 years.) She was a bit of a dingbat, though - as was my next dog, another Dane, that I'd obtained from a shelter simply by sending out a general word that I was looking for one and checking back with various shelters. I got him less than a month after I put the word out.

Again, a sweet fellow, beautiful, but no Einstein, and he had a number of picky little health problems, esp. early on. After that I got only crossbreeds, because I wanted that crossbreed hardiness. While my dogs had lived longer, I saw too many purebreds die so young, like the pomeranian mentioned above.

It's just a fact that the AKC has overbred many breeds while seeking certain popular or trendy appearances, often to the complete ruination of the breed's natural intelligence and health. This is why in the 80s and 90s we had so many German Shepherds built like hyenas - sloping backs - with appalling hip dysplasia as a result. That result became widespread, resulting in dogs crippled by age two or three, or living in constant pain. There are many, many other examples.

Crossbreeds, in contrast, are making new gene combos and as a result are far, far hardier. Their intelligence is usually much higher as well. All of my shelter dogs have been complete whiz kids. Of course, I could visit with them and spend a lot of time with them before I adopted, which is an option not available to someone who has either contracted for an unborn pup or has purchased one sight unseen, as above.

The main thing, though, is that we have such an overwhelming number of dogs and cats in this country that starve to death, freeze to death, go feral and pack up - which most dogs will do, although the "feral" aspect often changes rapidly if such dogs are offered human kindness.

Or they are abused, tortured, or neglected to death. It's hard to understand paying $3500 for a puppy after you have seen these starving, neglected dogs, still feebly wagging their tails and trying to lick your hand in the hope that perhaps THIS human will be kind. (Often they're yearling purebreds that the owner deliberately bred with the intention of selling them, but then discovered how expensive and time-consuming it was to care for them and train them to an adoptable age. So they're dumped on the road, or in a barn, or just kept and starved.) It's so hard to see this, and then understand why a person would spend so much money for one puppy.

It's true that such money could feed most shelters' animals for a month, or enable them to build more rooms, and find families for even more animals that are often euthanized simply because the shelters have no room for them. California alone, for instance, euthanizes over 10,000 animals a year. That's an old figure, so it's probably higher now.

I live in a rural area where people rarely think to spay or neuter their pets (if it's a conscious choice not to, it's often done with the idea that the animal WILL be bred, and become a big moneymaker. They hear that they can sell these kinds of pups or kittens for $800 or more (frankly, beyond all other concerns here, I think you were WILDLY overcharged) and because they're so often doing this based on what their cousin Bob told them, they don't bother to research it at all.

As a result, they never see all the ads in the local paper from people trying to sell the same sort of pups for $25. Papers, no papers - doesn't matter. And the pups get dumped. Sometimes in bags in dumpsters, still alive.

So. Though I can understand why people go to breeders - and there are reputable ones, certainly - this is why I grind my teeth when I hear these stories. With a bit more research and patience, you might very well find the exact pup that you wanted at a shelter. Purebreds turn up all the time, and contrary to popular opinion, shelter animals rarely have behavior problems that aren't made perfectly clear by shelter staff, who do, after all, work with and around all of these animals all the time.

And no, you will NOT get papers, even if the animal came in with them. The primary goal of ALL animal protection groups is to stop all unwanted (and irresponsible wanted) breeding, and they don't want to hand off anything that might make that easier. In fact, they will require you to "fix" your adoptee, if it hasn't already been done. (The animal will cost less and you will get a partial refund on the vet bill.) And why would you want to breed an animal, when the same sort of pups are already available at shelters for $100 or less?

You're not exactly going to make a killing in sales. You'll only likely cause some.

to ***le #933660

This is in response to whoever is, shall we say "uninformed", enough to believe in crossbred hardiness. IT IS A MYTH.

If one were to breed some crappy Poodle to a crappy Cocker Spaniel, do you actually believe the resultant puppies would be better than their parents or a carefully-bred purebred pup?? That is just ***, and it shows how gullible the public really is.

If you want to adopt from a shelter, that's great. It is very true that purebred dogs sometimes end up there.

Those that do, though, are dumped there by irresponsible owners who would have dumped a mixed-breed just as quickly. But most of the time, it's like reaching into a grab bag, hoping that you don't end up with a dog that likes to snack on small children, has any or all of a zillion other behavioral problems, or comes from a puppy mill, and has so many health issues that their owners can't afford to keep them any more. OR you could get a sweet, healthy dog that some lazy owner dumped because it outgrew it's puppy cuteness. Good luck with that.

Or you could take your time, learn about the breed you're interested in, find several breeders, and do some comparitive shopping. A good breeder will be more than happy to provide you with copies of the results of genetic tests of the sire and dam of their puppies, let you visit with the dam and the rest of the puppies as much as you like, and educate you as to what you can expect an adult to look and act like. Don't be thrown if the sire is not there; show breeders very often use a dog that can be across the country to sire a litter BECAUSE HE IS THE BEST MATCH FOR THE DAM. They will also show you a pedigree of the puppies they have, which should have MANY champions no farther than 2 generations back, and I would even want at least one parent to be a champion.

The AKC does not overbreed any dogs; the AKC is a registry only. They do not breed dogs at all. And there are no OVERbred dogs; there are BADLY bred dogs.

We have two beautiful, healthy girls here, one is a champion and the other will be by the end of the summer.

There are at least six generations of champions behind both girls. That's six generations of dogs that are as close to the AKC Standard as possible, have been genetically tested whenever possible to ensure that they won't pass on any genetic problems, and come from breeders whose sole purpose when it comes to their dogs is to breed the best possible puppies for both show and pet purposes. Like most of these breeders, our puppy buyers have to sign a legally binding contract that

Guarantees the puppy to be free from any genetic problems for their first 4 years of life Requires that all pups not being shown will be spayed or neutered, at which time they will be provided with registration papers listing them as sole owners States that we will take the dog back at any time in his/her life should the owner become unwilling or unable to care properly for the dog. There is a specific clause in the contract that their puppy is NEVER to be dropped off at a shelter.

We brought that puppy into the world, and take full responsibility for that puppy. Showing, testing, stud fees, shipping costs (the dam is often flown to the stud, then flown home after the breeding), the costs of raising a healthy litter, all these things are expensive. Most breeders don't even come close to making a profit on a litter. It is absolutely a labor of love.

And we don't get half of $3200 for our puppies, including show prospects. So before anyone goes around bashing good breeders and spouting off ignorant things about genetics, cross-breed vigor, etc, I would suggest that they actually spend some time with a fee GOOD breeders and get their facts straight.